Plett’s oldest building, the Timber Shed, situated in Meeding Street, was named one of the country’s top ten cultural heritage sites. The building was commissioned in 1786 as a storehouse for timber and completed in 1788 for the Dutch East India Company. The remains of the building have been partially restored several times and was declared a national monument in 1961.
Other historical sites include the caves at Robberg where Stone Age man lived. A well-known restaurant in town takes its name from the Sao Goncales shipwreck where survivors came ashore in 1630 and lived here for a while. By 1776 the first Dutch settlers had arrived and the rest , as the saying goes, is history.